Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Places I Must Go and Things I Must Do When I Go to New York


I am obssessed with New York City. I love love love everything about it, from the little cafe's and bars, the diverse range of shopping (high-end Chanel or bargain-basement flea market), the music, art and fashion, the amalgamation of historic buildings with modern architectural triumphs, the melting pot of hotties, characters and hobos... everything!


The only problem- I haven't been yet. But I know, for sure, I WILL get there one day!

Inspired by the travels of my fellow blogger, frangipani princess, here is a list of things I will do, see and visit when I get to the beautiful NYC. Some are weird, some are classic, and some are just unashamedly tourist-y, but I don't care! When I get to New York, I'll be singing Frank Sinatra's classic... "I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps, To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap. These little town blues, Are melting away, I'll make a brand new start of it! In old New York! If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere! It's up to you, New York, New York!"
In no particular order:
1) Visit Serendipity III, the cafe in which John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale drank frozen hot chocolates and slowly fell in love in the film Serindipity
Address: 225 East 60th Street, New York, NY 10022
2) Visit Tiffany and Co- who can forget the opening sequence to Breakfast at Tiffany's, in which the gorgeous Audrey Hepburn eats her take-away breakfast and drinks her coffee out the front of Tiffany's Fifth Avenue store. Oh, what I wouldn't give to take home one of those little powder blue boxes...
Address: Fifth Avenue At 57th Street, New York, NY 10022
3) See the Statue of Liberty- Oh, that beautiful beacon for all that is New Yorkian :) A gift from the French celebrating 100 years of American independence, there are not one, but TWO other Lady Liberties, both found in France and symbolising friendship, freedom and peace between the US and France.
4) Visit Union Square Greenmarket- this gourmet farmer's market sells EVERYTHING food-related. If it's fresh and it's tasty, you will find it here -homegrown produce, pretzels, meats, cheeses, jams and honeys. I hope to get some of the, shall we say, interesting varieties of jam and peanut butters available, such as the dark chocolate peanut butter that a friend of mine bought back recently.
Address: Union Square Park, 17th St. at Broadway, New York, NY 10003
5) Visit Murray's Bagels- this quaint store sells that NYC institution, the bagel. They supposedly do it well, with one review saying Murray's sell their bagels "crusty and chewy enough to dislocate your jaw, flavorful enough to eat plain" and "aggressively old-school and traditional". What better place to eat my first New York Bagel?
Address: 500 Sixth Ave., New York, NY 10011
6) Walk Down 34th Street- I am a great lover of Christmas movies and Miracle on 34th Street is my all-time favourite, particularly the original version starring Natalie Wood. To stroll down the street that inspired a movie title, even stay in a hotel along the street that sits in the heart of the city would be literally unbelievable.
7) Stand Atop the Empire State Building- Too many film references here, but the two most notable are, of course, An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle. That along is enough reason to get up there, close my eyes and pretend I'm madly in love with some dashing young actor, when in reality, I'm falling in love with this city...
8) Hit Up A Cocktail Bar (Or Two, or Three...)- Wow, too many to choose from here! Whether it's the fabulous margarita's from Dos Caminos Soho (475 W. Broadway), the mojito's at Milk and Honey (34 Eldridge St) or soaking up the atmosphere at Prohibition- inspired Death and Co. (433 E. 6th St), New York is famous for those fruity, fabulous drinks.
9) Visit Central Park- This 843 acre monument to the magnificance of New York attracts all those who make the trip here. I want to do and see it all! Skip through strawberry fields (inspiration courtesy of a current fascination of mine with The Beatles), row a boat on The Lake, see Belvedere Castle, visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, attend a Shakespeare In the Park play, visit Central Park Zoo (yay for Madagascar!), eat at Tavern on the Green or just find a big old tree to sit under and people-watch. Ahhhhhh.
10) Have a Coffee From the Best Non- Starbucks Coffeeshop in the City: The Sensuous Bean- So according to one reviewer, this place has cheap, tasty and surprising coffee, with super-friendly staff and sweet snacks. Apparently their gourmet, flavoured coffees are to die for, and we're not just talking caramel and chocolate here, people- they have Pumpkin Spice, Coconut, Raspberry, Banana Nut and White Chocolate Mousse. My personal pick of the bunch? Chocolate macadamia decaf. Sweet. Best bit? They do tea as well! Now, I pride myself on my tea, and love to start the day with an English Breakfast or Green Tea, have an Earl Grey or Peppermint after school and a Camomile or Daffodil before bed. The Sensuous Bean's tea list on their website is making me drool on my keyboard- Organic Peach, Vanilla Jasmine, Mango With Pieces and their personal brew, Sensuous Breakfast. I can see myself spending far too much money and time here... but coffee and tea would make great gifts to bring home though, no?
Address: 66 W 70th St, New York, NY 10023
11) Spend An Afternoon in Housing Works Bookstore Cafe- After reading Chelsea's review of this quaint little place on Guidespot.com, I can't help but want to go. She says, "This bookstore/cafe has new, used and rare books that you can read while munching on a sandwich, drinking vino, listening to live music or a reading. Also, you can feel good about spending the dough, 100% of the profits go to a non-profit organization benefiting New Yorker’s living with HIV/AIDS." Let's go!
OK, so I realise this list is a very romanticised vision of the great city, but come on! It's New York! It's been the backdrop to more movies than Hollywood itself, it has literally something for everyone, it has a pulse and a heartbeat and it's New York! "Start spreading the news... I'm leaving today!" I wish!
Where in the world do you want to visit more than anywhere else?
Love bubblygirl
xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post - as always =)
hmmm.... where on EARTH would I want to visit more than any other place?? Let me think about that...
JOKES. I didn;t have to think at all. The answer is clear.
FRANCE!!! (But I'd love to go to heaps more places!)
At my school some friends of mine in the year above are counting down the days til the all go to New York together, to live!! It's something like 1,982 days left!
But they have it all figured out... where they are planning to live, what food they'll bring, dividing the costs, etc. I think you'd get along well with them simply by liking New York!
Anyway, hope you get there soon!
xoxo bella

Anonymous said...

you're not alone - i totally heart NYC, too! :D been there once when i was a wee ten year old who couldn't appreciate the big apple! :( gah. dying to go again, though. this time, armed with a camera and more!